History.

I don't normally write about things like this. Today I do though.


Is it wrong to celebrate a person's death? People, me being one, were disgusted at the celebrations held in other parts of the world on 9/11. I kind of felt the same sick feeling seeing American's happy about the death of one certain man. Both of the images I saw contained crowds of people, seemingly partaking in chaos but really sharing a union of feeling, of happiness. But, at the same time, I can't say his death is not a huge success from a standpoint of safety, security...and probably, largely out of revenge.

What a strange piece of news it was to hear. I will probably not forget where I was when I heard, "They killed Osama Bin Laden." Just like when I heard, "They crashed planes into the Twin Towers." My heart sinks when I think about both moments. What a world we live in. We despise death and murder and then we celebrate death and murder.

I've never been ashamed to say I respected Pres. Bush and what he did during his presidency. Of course, it is very easy to pick on the one person who is on the news, makes the speeches, is the image projected to all of us over the television...but didn't he have loads of people behind him, agreeing with him, aiding him, writing his speeches? Of course he did. Despite his flaws, he was a great president. I hope the celebrators of this recent death remember Bush's promise, "In terms of Mr. Bin Laden himself, we'll get him running." I hope the celebrators remember this statement above all of the other famous (or infamous) Bush quotes.

Something I couldn't help but to notice is the similarity (and respectfully the VAST difference) of the capture of a previous American threat. Someone hidden in plain sight, living a seemingly ordinary life while being sought out. Someone who devastated the lives of many Americans, although, it can be said, the man below did it one person at a time rather than by the thousands at once.

Maybe there will be a lashing out by the followers of Bin Laden as a result of his death. Will it be carried out in a large scale devastation or a slow, but never fading, drug cartel kind of way like that of Pablo Escobar?

Any thoughts?
Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts