Market Street Clam Chowder

Market Street Clam Chowder
serves 8 to 10

potatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, leeks
(except I didn't have leeks, so I used half the amount of green onions).


Dice. The recipe says to a 1/2 inch (I like my soup a little more chunky, I also used more potatoes and celery than called for).


Combine with water, chopped clams, clam juice, pepper, salt, thyme, bay leaves, and tabasco.


Combine flour and butter in a baking dish. Bake for half an hour while the pot is heated to simmering.


Add the flour mixture to the chowder and stir.

Add 2 quarts of Half and Half (I only use a quart and a half since I like a thicker soup). I add some of the remaining half and half to my coffee :)


Recipe:
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup flour

Dice potatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, leeks = 1 cup of each
2 cups of water
3/4 cups sherry wine (optional)
3/4 cups chopped clams (canned or fresh)
3/4 cups clam juice (can use the juice from can or purchase separately)
3/4 tablespoon pepper
1 and 1/2 tablespoons salt
3/4 tablespoon thyme
6 bay leaves (if using dried leaves, use 3)
1 teaspoon tabasco

2 quarts Half and Half


Heat oven to 325, combine flour and butter, bake for 30 minutes.

In large saucepan combine all remaining ingredients other than Half and Half. Simmer until potatoes are tender.

Stir butter flour mixture into chowder. The mixture will be a little less thick than cookie dough.

Remove from heat, add Half and Half, stir until blended.

Return to heat and serve warm.

Enjoy.


Comments

Popular Posts